Hey there! I'm Joel.
I'm currently a product manager at Sourcegraph. Things I've enjoyed doing include:
- web engineering at Figma
- product management at Microsoft and a couple of startups
- design, venture prototyping, and blockchain explorations at IDEO
- data science at Botnik and various startups
- custom personal and small-business websites (example)
- blockchain explainer articles for Lunry
- general tomfoolery.
I studied computer science at Harvard, where I focused on ML and ML ethics. While there, I co-wrote the textbook for Harvard's inaugural blockchain class, and fortunately avoided creating the next Facebook.
If you want to chat about cool projects or career things, you can message me on LinkedIn.
Hey! I'm Joel, a comedian and writer living in LA.
I'm currently with the wild people at Botnik Studios. I've performed stand up at Boston's The Comedy Studio and Foxborough's Orpheum Theater, opened for Nemr, appeared in a Spotify web series (is that even a thing?), and sold jokes to Funny or Die.
In my youth, I ran the Harvard College Stand Up Comic Society, where I started an annual comedy charity show feat. Harvard Professors. I also finessed college credit for writing-performing-producing my hourlong standup show, Artificially Intelligent.
Here and there, I made trouble with Satire V, wrote for On Harvard Time, emceed an annual drag night, had my one-act play 10,000 Spoons produced in Harvard's Annual Playwrights' Festival, and was mistaken for Mark Zuckerberg zero times.
I've made the Forbes 30 Under 30 List of Best Joel Kwartlers for 5 of the past 8 years. I have no relation to Tom Hanks.
BBC / Botnik
- Fake Startups (contributor)
Funny or Die
Satire V (Selected)
- Electoral College Ranked 5th by U.S. News & World Report
- Leaked: Draft of Mark Zuckerberg's Commencement Speech
- RadioShack Outlasted by Both Radios and Shacks
- Snapchat Stock Disappearing from Portfolios After 10 Seconds
- No Matter How Hard I Try, I Can't Get Lasers to Shoot Out of My Eyes - By Neil Gorsuch
- Why I Gave Up Having Pockets - By Your Dress
- The Crimson's Arts Board Reviews of Harvard Courses
- First Week Class Shopping Period: Student Caught Shoplifting Classes
- Yale Football Team Watching 'Sound of Music' to get Pumped for The Game
- Interviewee Overestimates Number of Golf Balls That Could Fit in Boeing 747 By 8 Orders of Magnitude
- Jeremy Lin’s Donation Creates Linsanity Professorship of Romance Languages and Literatures
- HUDS Dining Hall Workers on Strike Build Guillotine in Harvard Square
- Dining Hall Workers Strike vs. Harvard: 9,475th Rock-Paper-Scissors Round Ends in Tie
- Christie: No Number of Skittles Can Kill Me
- GMO Labeling Referendum Voted Down by Sentient Corn Harvest
- Excerpts from Rejected Expos 40 Applications
- Alright, Nerds: Take This Harry Potter Quiz Full of Nonsense Fairy Words and Shut Up (contributor)
Lake Oswego Review Humor Columns (Selected)
- Onstage Blog: "19 Broadway Songs Rewritten for Covid19" is the Compilation You Didn't Know You Needed
- KPTV Good Day Oregon: Video Segment
- Broadway On Demand – Broadway Fanatic with Laura Heywood: Video Segment
- Pamplin Media: The Stage is Where the Heart is
A collection of things I've created in photoshop (or similar tools).
Tweets by JoelKwartler
This is a super secret message hidden on my website! It serves no purpose but whoa cool, right?
Since, it's become an annual tradition at Harvard and, starting in 2019, Yale (benefiting the Y2Y New Haven shelter). To date, these shows have raised over $7,000.
If this is something you'd like to do with your college/company/group, I've got a very-long-but-possibly-useful PDF guide to running this kind of show that I'm happy to send you! (For free, duh. This is for charity.)
- The Yale Daily News: Y2Y to host faculty comedy show
- The Harvard Gazette: Harvard Comedy Troupe Puts Faculty and Deans On Stage
- The Harvard Crimson: "Faculty Lounge" Seeks to Bridge the Gap Between Students and Faculty
Harvard Gazette video
I am obsessed with email. I will read your email immediately. I will respond so fast. I will comprehend none of it.
Wouldn't it be funky if the photography section didn't have any photos?
If you are so inclined, you can find some wildlife/landscapes on my instagram.
If for some terrible reason you think you want to hire me to take photos for ya, I'm happy to send you portfolios and have experience shooting portraits, headshots, and events.