Hey! I'm Joel, a comedian/writer currently writing with the wild people at Botnik Studios. I've performed stand up at Boston's The Comedy Studio and Foxborough's Orpheum Theater, opened for Nemr, appeared in a Spotify web series (is that even a thing?), and sold jokes to Funny or Die. I began my comedy career with a performance of Monty Python's "The Argument Clinic" in a second grade talent show. I did not win.
Previously, I was the 2017 Co-President of the Harvard College Stand Up Comic Society and a staff writer, graphic designer, sketch writer, and assistant director with Harvard's Satire V. I also somehow managed to get college credit for writing/performing/producing/directing Artificially Intelligent, my hourlong standup show. I've written for Harvard's On Harvard Time video sketch group, emceed an annual drag night, had my one-act comedy play 10,000 Spoons produced as part of Harvard's Annual Playwrights' Festival, and been mistaken for Mark Zuckerberg zero times. I did not win.
Before leaving Harvard, I devised, helped write, and hosted a show featuring Harvard Professors performing stand up sets written by student comics, which raised over $2,500 for the Cambridge homeless shelters. I did not win.
Some pointless other facts about me? Somehow, I ended up majoring in computer science, which is neither a science nor a computer. I play trumpet poorly, piano badly, and sing (tenor voice) disastrously, enjoy wildlife photography, and have made the Forbes 30 Under 30 List of Best Joel Kwartlers for 5 of the past 8 years. I have no relation to Tom Hanks. I once bet a friend that I could jump over a short stone wall. I did not win.
In (roughly) reverse-chronological order.
BBC / Botnik
- Fake Startups (contributor)
Funny or Die
Satire V (Selected)
- Electoral College Ranked 5th by U.S. News & World Report
- Leaked: Draft of Mark Zuckerberg's Commencement Speech
- RadioShack Outlasted by Both Radios and Shacks
- Snapchat Stock Disappearing from Portfolios After 10 Seconds
- No Matter How Hard I Try, I Can't Get Lasers to Shoot Out of My Eyes - By Neil Gorsuch
- Why I Gave Up Having Pockets - By Your Dress
- The Crimson's Arts Board Reviews of Harvard Courses
- First Week Class Shopping Period: Student Caught Shoplifting Classes
- Yale Football Team Watching 'Sound of Music' to get Pumped for The Game
- Interviewee Overestimates Number of Golf Balls That Could Fit in Boeing 747 By 8 Orders of Magnitude
- Jeremy Lin’s Donation Creates Linsanity Professorship of Romance Languages and Literatures
- HUDS Dining Hall Workers on Strike Build Guillotine in Harvard Square
- Dining Hall Workers Strike vs. Harvard: 9,475th Rock-Paper-Scissors Round Ends in Tie
- Christie: No Number of Skittles Can Kill Me
- GMO Labeling Referendum Voted Down by Sentient Corn Harvest
- Excerpts from Rejected Expos 40 Applications
- Alright, Nerds: Take This Harry Potter Quiz Full of Nonsense Fairy Words and Shut Up (contributor)